Monday, September 15, 2014

Why I still use some sugar.

You will notice that in some of my recipes, I still use sugar. Not as much as before, but still get the white grains out.

Why not use a substitute?

Short personal reason: They make me sick.

I used to use splenda.  I liked the taste. I could use it in most things. Stevia came along, I loved it.  But my stomach hurt most of the time.  I realized, that most artificial sweeteners affect me. Bloating, slight stomach pain, to "the bathroom dash".  I have not found one that doesn't affect me.

So if I want to sweeten something I have to use sugar, or honey, or fruit juice, etc.

Sugar alcohols (polyols) were worse on my body. Although they occur naturally, how do you think we get so much into a bottle? They have to be processed to be made usable.

There is also studies that show that your brain doesn't realize the artificial sweetener is not sugar (link).  So you could still gain weight or have an insulin response with using an artificial sweetener.

The decision to still use sugar, is based on my reaction to the sweeteners. I know people can use them with no ill affects.

But I have to choose between the lesser of two evils for me. So if that means, cutting back the amount of sugar, when I can't cut it out. So be it.

It's better than having to run to the bathroom after drinking a diet soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment