Friday, October 3, 2014

What I learned on my cheat day.

I had a cheat day yesterday.

After being good all day, I came home after work. I didn't want to cook. So we decided it's pizza day.
Turned out the pizza choice wasn't too bad. If I had stayed with that, I would have still been under my carbs for the day... Even after eating 4 slices. Because we had chosen a medium, thin crust, extra meat pizza.
What put me over? The ice cream sandwiches.

Observations:

  1. Ice cream sandwiches pack a bunch of calories into a little package that does nothing to make you fill full, so I ate too many. And doubled my amount of carbs for the day, almost doubled my calories.
  2.  So many carbs that late in the day caused problems.
    1. Hubby couldn't get to sleep. He stayed up late, because he felt "wired"
    2. I got a really bad bout of insomnia. I know it was food related because I used to get the same type when I would drink alcohol (namely those sinful beer-ritas*) too close to bed time. I will sleep for about four hours, then I am suddenly awake.
    3. I woke up, not hungry. When I follow my diet, I wake up a little hungry. I have to eat something solid to start the day. I did not feel like eating when I woke up from that binge. But I know my body. I had to eat a breakfast or experience severe hunger later in the day.
So what did this teach me?
I think if I have another cheat day, I will stay away from the sugary stuff. The pizza was forgivable, but the ice cream made me feel horrible. 



* Those beer-ritas, the ones that come in fruit flavors are possibly the worst thing I have drank due to the effect on my body. There is so much sugar and flavorings in them that it is like drinking a chemical concoction. They taste great and are not too expensive.  But my body can't handle them now, so they are off the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment