On the second day of this diet, I had something strange and scary happen.
I wanted to eat straight sugar.
It wasn't I wanted something with sugar on or in it. It wasn't a craving for a candy bar. I had the urge to go into the kitchen and eat sugar straight from the container.
Weird? Sort of.
It was an eye opener for me. Perhaps those people that claim sugar acts like a drug were right. I have had to give up foods and drinks before and never had a feeling like that. It was like the time I tried to quit smoking when I was nineteen, I wasn't a heavy smoker, but I would have intense craving for it. (I quit when I became pregnant, because I would look at a cigarette and puke).
So no added sugar. Looks that way.
You can't give up sugar fully. It occurs naturally in foods, that's why winter squash is sweet. But we do eat too much of it. It is in everything, even in places you wouldn't expect. Limiting the amount of sugar I eat should be easier now.
That craving, scared me for another reason. Both of my parents had diabetes. I have been obese all of my life. Could this have been a warning shot? I think so.
The good thing was, I got over that craving. I had a lunch with more protein than I usually have for my mid-day meal. And no more cravings.
No comments:
Post a Comment